Monday, March 21, 2005

Toby or Not Toby.. That is The Dinner

I came across this site a couple of months back when I was surfing for links and whatnot. Its about this guy who owns this adorable ball of fluff named Toby and his plans to eat him unless those opposed to eating bunnies raise $50,000 to prevent him from doing so. So far, he's raised a little over $19,000.

Dammit! Why didn't I think of this?

Naturally this guy is going all out with this plan. He's got the whole line of collectable souvenirs with all profits going to save the adorable bunny, Toby. He's got pictures of his cute widdle mug plastered all over his site. He even has a few recipes for how to prepare rabbit, with the word "rabbit" replaced with "Toby."

Toby's owner is also catching a little flack for this endeavor as well. His hate mail page are filled with threats and his FAQ page lists why this act isn't criminal. There is even a SaveTobySucks.com site offering to castrate Toby's owner if they can raise $30,000 (This is of course, assuming these sites aren't both operated by the same guy). Also PayPal has completely wimped out and cancelled his donation link. Not that surprising when you consider Paypal's record for not being the most scrupulous enterprise on the web. Godaddy.com, on the other hand, has shown remarkable yarbles in agreeing that SaveToby.com has so far done nothing fraudulent which would warrant a termination of their services. Usually, when faced with an onslaught of consumer hate mail over the most trivial crap, most corporations fold and will bend over for any customers they may not yet have.

Personally, I have better things to spend my money on than saving some cute widdle bunny. While I don't want to see this adorable critter chopped and stewed on low heat for 30-45 minutes while basting in a succulent sauce, its not like I don't enjoy the occaisional greasy cheeseburger from time to time so I really can't complain. If this guy wants to give his dinner a cute name and befriend it before eating it, thats his way. Its really no different than any restaurant that allows people to choose, from a tank, the lobster they are going to dine on.

I wonder if I would have had the stomach to eat that double pepperoni pizza tonight if it had a cute face looking up at me and a pet name. Oh well.

"I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?" - Capt. Vasili Borodin, The Hunt for Red October

Hopefully, the conscum in this country wont pass a law ordering Toby's feeding tube reinserted.

No comments:


make custom gifts at Zazzle