So many people to despise for being so stupid, so little time.
Well it seems to me that the ultra-whackjob conservatives don't want to share this time of the year with other religions because it appears to be taking religion away from those who want to believe in their faith. Well ok, but if that's the stance the religious rejects are going to take, then let's be fair about it.
Here are some of the major traditions of Christmas and their origins:
- Christmas Trees are derivative of Saturnalia (Ancient Rome) or many other Winter Solstice festivities as celebrated by polytheistic pagans long before jesus.
- Mistletoe was part of druidic worship because it was looked upon as promise of the return of spring.
- Yule Logs were burned as part of an ancient pagan festival known as Yuletide.
- December 25th was a date used by Persians to celebrate the birth of their sun god, Mithras until the Pope in 320 AD decided to officially declare (translation: Stop worshipping your sun god you pagans!) that it was to be the day to recognize the birth of jesus.
- Gift giving, while attributed to St Nicholas, was also a tradition during Saturnalia.
After all, you God Warriors can't have it both ways.